Reedley firefighters moved a hose into position to douse flames inside a burning garage on South Buttonwillow Avenue on Jan. 16. Fire crews were able to limit the damage to the storage area and contents in the garage.

A quick response by Reedley firefighters prevented a garage fire from spreading to the main house of a residence in the 500 block of South Buttonwillow Avenue on Jan. 16.

At about 8:30 p.m., RFD units responded to a greater alarm structure fire that had broken out in the detached garage. According to a news release from Chief Jerry Isaak with the department, the first arriving chief officers discovered the combined garage and storage shed about 50 percent involved with heavy smoke and flames. Firefighters arriving on the scene then made an aggressive and well-coordinated attack to protect the residence itself.

The blaze ultimately consumed the storage area and its contents, but the garage frame portion itself was spared. A classic vehicle was parked in the garage and sustained extensive damage. The fire was brought under full control within 25 minutes.

 To see the full story, subscribe to our print or e-edition. For more information please call The Reedley Exponent at 559-638-2244.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.